Bienvenuto!

Welcome to my blog! I update this blog regularly, telling about my experiences during my two years at the United World College of the Adriatic. Please check out the videos above from my youtube account, and click on pictures to see them in full size.
Ciao!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Reflections and Updates - August 30th, 2007

I'm sitting in my dayroom (at Fore) watching about 15 people from at leats 12 different countries very informally ballroom dancing, talking and laughing to something that sounds like jazz/Latin music.. I can't quite tell! This doesn't feel at all unusual to me, but it has definitely not yet happened since I've been here... at UWC it seems like there is always something fun, new, and interesting happening all the time!

I've come to find that the more I talk to people the more I like them, and the more people I meet the more I feel surrounded by a very big community of incredibly talented people in areas that I had no idea. There are at least 5 people I've heard play incredible piano out of nowhere... they hadn't mentioned it! There are at least three VERY good violinists, and one VERY good violist (Mongolia) and a good cello player. Almost everyone is more talented than almost anyone I had ever met before coming here, and I enjoy spending time with all of them.
It's incredible.

Lucy (2nd year - USA) said, one night when we were walking with probably 70% of the college to ajip ( a gas station nearby) that it was the most united she had ever seen the school! And that was in the first week! I think this is largely because we all seem to get along very well, the 2nd years are almost all great about interaction with the 1st years. Whatever it is, the school is wonderful, and I think feel like almost everyone is comfortable and close - something I thought impossible with 200 teenagers before!

Classes have been chosen now, after various introductions by teachers.
The IB has 6 subject blocks, that can be filled by classes in their respective categories.
You typically take 3 higher level (HL) classes and 3 standard level (SL) classes.
My schedule has been finalized, but it can be changed - it looks like this:

English (for native speakers) HL
Italian HL
Music HL
Economics HL
Math SL
Physics SL

I am taking 4 higher levels, which is unusual, but I don't think it will be nearly as hard as having 7 subjects - which almost all the non native English speakers do.

I don't have times for my classes yet (should be in my mailbox now) but we basically have classes in the mornings (until 1:15) Monday-Friday, with activities and service in the afternoons.
The CAS system stands for Creativity, Activity, and Service (both College Service and Community Service). You are required to take one of each of these while you're at the school. I haven't entirely decided what I'm doing yet, but possibilities I'm considering are:

ACTIVITIES - Sailing, soccer, capoeira
SERVICE - Fixing college bikes, ski instructing? - haven't heard about community service yet
CREATIVE - Photography, choir

It will all be done soon, classes start next Monday along with physical activities. We are still figuring out the exact CAS schedules though.

I've made lots of friends and feel free to hang out with just about anyone. I'm probably been hanging more with:

Diana (UK 1st yr.)
Urska (Slovenia 1st yr.)
Nicolas (Argentina 1st yr.)
Christina (Canada 1st yr.)
Juor (Norway 1st yr.)
Lucy (USA 2nd yr)
Julie (UK 2nd yr.)
Jay (Mongolia 1st yr.)

Here's a picture we took today:

(Left to right)
Remy, Urska (Slovenia), Bogo (Poland), Diana(UK), Nicolas(AR)









These are just the names that I thought of the fastest right now, but I have been spending time with SOOOO many amazing people!
Highlights in the last couple of days have been:
-Going swimming at night in the Adriatic with the Latinos (which we were reprimanded for and told we aren't supposed to do)

-Playing pick up soccer with a handful of fellow students.

-Playing Viola/violin duets with Micha (also Mongolia - not sure about the name spelling)

-Swimming from Porto (the local port and swimming area) to the Fore beach (half an hour swim) in windy, big waves with Diana and Bella (Spain). (This swim has never been done before as far as we know, and we got some good comments from fellow students!)

-Staying up until 3:30am with Diana, Lucy and Julie talking



***The number of dancers in the dayroom has hit more like 20 now (after a slight decline)***


There haven't been any significant lowlights!



Here's a bit of other info that I am randomly remembering at the moment:

My personal tutor's name is Stefano, from Italy. He is also the music teacher. He helps me with scheduling, classes, important documents like my permisso di siggiorno (permision to reside here) - which I got! - and other questions we have.
My residence tutors names is Reema. She is nice and helpful and I see her occasionally.
I haven't found somewhere to put my bike yet, so it's outside the Mensa door on a bike rack but not locked. I'm working on changing this as soon as I can!

To answer some other questions:

WEATHER: It has been very sunny and quite hot since I got here except yesterday and today. Yesterday (Friday, August 29 07) it was overcast and very nice out. Today it rained very hard for a few hours (before our epic swim) and it was very windy and overcast almost the entire rest of the day. I loved it! Something about the weather was exciting, sort of anticipating... not sure what.

I'm putting all the pictures I've taken here on facebook, you can see them at:

http://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1047000043







No comments: