Bienvenuto!

Welcome to my blog! I update this blog regularly, telling about my experiences during my two years at the United World College of the Adriatic. Please check out the videos above from my youtube account, and click on pictures to see them in full size.
Ciao!

Saturday, September 8, 2007

September 8,2007

Ciao everyone!
It's the weekend! This sensation of having a weekend here is very weird actually, because everything is so busy and exciting all the time, and there are so many things I always have to be doing, but now I can really do what I want with my time...
I took a bike ride this morning (I got a key from Julius, a very nice teacher who's in charge of the bikes at the college so that I can start doing some work on them to fix them up a bit for the year) and then took a swim with two new girls at the school, Natasha and Kristina (they arrived late from Romania and Russia), but then ended up swimming from Porto to Fore beach with Tomash and Andrea.
The weather was beautiful today (still a little cold in the water, but not so much that we couldn't swim for an hour) as it was yesterday (I also took a swim then).
Reflecting back on this first week of classes, they got better at the end! Things are still a little moving a little slow, but I have come to realize that it's the first week so they should be! Also, I think they are taking things reasonably slowly for the non-native-english seakers, to give them a chance to really learn English well - I can't imagine taking a difficult academic course in a second (or third!) language, so I admire most of my classmates who are doing just that! So I'm ok with it going a bit slow for now.
The second years are all working on their Extended Essays (EE's) and the deadline was yesterday, so they were all very stressed and not sleeping the last few days. Thus, I'm sure I will be very academically challenged soon!

Yesterday I filmed some around Duino and will make a quick video to post here soon! I'm planning on starting a band (rock) with a few people here also. We have also talked about a classical string quartet, so the music opportunities are certainly here.

Anyway, the couple of days of nice weather was great, and it was nice to sleep in and recover a little bit this morning, a week here can tire you out pretty well!

I'll post the video as soon as it's done, and more pics to come!
Ciao

1 comment:

Malia said...

Well done! It's perfect! It's really really wierd reading about your experiences cause they mirror my own from last year so much with such slight modifications it might as well have been the same place. That's the cool thing about UWCs... we're just one big happy family. Have you heard the statistic that about 16% UWC graduates marry another UWC graduate? Crazy huh?
Anyway... it all sounds absolutely amazing and tell my coyears there I feel for them... EE due already?!? We get another month or so... ugh. Guess I should get on top of it. Procrastination... gotta love it!